Office of Disability Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions for Students With Special Needs


1. Does Bennett College have a Learning Disability Program?

Bennett College has comprehensive support services for students with learning disabilities, physical, mental, emotional, and developmental disabilities. In addition to classroom accommodations, the Office of Disability Services can provide or refer the services listed in the section titled Highlight of Services.

2. To whom can I send or give my documentation?

Documentation should be sent to:

Kameka McMillian, MS
Office of Disability Services
Bennett College
Merner Hall
900 E. Washington St., Box 43
Greensboro, NC 27401
(P) 336.517.1501

3. Do professors give untimed tests?

The student and ODS review existing documentation and determine the nature accommodations that are warranted. In some cases, that may be un-timed tests. This service is provided in the Office of Disability Services not by professors.

4. Will professors allow me to tape their classes?

Yes, however, that accommodation must be stated in the accommodation plan and you must request permission of the faculty member before recording any lectures. While by law, this accommodation should be denied by individual faculty members, they might ask students to either destroy or forfeit tapes after the end of a semester in an effort to protect intellectual property.

5. Does Bennett College provide tutors?

Yes, peer tutors in general education courses are available through Academic Services. These students are upperclasswomen usually majoring in the area in which they tutor, and recommended by faculty members. In addition, professional tutoring services are available in some skill areas. These services are available to any Bennett College student, not just to students with disabilities

6. Does Bennett College provide note takers?

If “peer notes” are identified on the accommodation plan, then the student, the professor, and the Office of Disability Services will identify an appropriate classmate to serve as a note taker. Copies of notes are provided electronically to the student by the ODS. If the student receiving notes wishes to remain anonymous, he or she can make these arrangements through the office.

7. Does Bennett College waive course requirements?

No, course waivers are not granted for students with disabilities. At Bennett College, we believe in all students’ ability to succeed. Peer tutors and learning specialists are provided free of charge to assist in your journey to academic success.

8. What are my responsibilities as a student?

Once documentation has been provided to the Office of Disability Services, it is the responsibility of the student to make an appointment to review the documentation. Students must qualify for, and assist in the development of the accommodation plan. Student input is a critical part of the process in promoting self-awareness and self-advocacy skills necessary to success at the post-secondary level.

9. If I had a 504 Plan or an IEP in High School, am I guaranteed services and accommodations in college?

No, not necessarily. Services for high school aged children are governed by the IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act). Students with a federally recognized disability are guaranteed services. Colleges and Universities are held to the standards outlined in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. These pieces of legislation are anti-discrimination laws requiring that institutions make provisions and accommodations to insure full participation and non-discrimination regardless of disability.

In this instance, the need for a given accommodation is determined by demonstrated functional disability, not merely by diagnosis. However, it is the intention of Bennett College to meet or exceed federal guidelines and provide the support services that all of our students need in order to gain full access and opportunity. If you have any concerns about eligibility for accommodations or services at Bennett College, please feel free to contact our staff at any time.

10. Once I have decided to attend Bennett College, what should I do before school begins?

  1. If you have not already done so, make arrangements to visit the campus and request a personal meeting with the Office of Disability Services.
  2. Provide your documentation to the Office of Disability Services as soon as possible. Early action will allow plenty of time to address any discrepancies or issues that may arise concerning eligibility for services or completeness of documentation.
  3. Make sure that the student is familiar with the contents of his or her documentation packet, the nature and extent of the disability, and is able to discuss the accommodations being requested.
  4. Fill out and return the Request for Accommodations form once you are accepted into the college.
  5. Participate in Belle Beginnings or early placement testing. If accommodations are necessary when taking Math, English, or Reading- be sure to notify the Office of Disability Services in advance when you know when you plan to take them. Accommodations may not be available without prior notice.

11. Who is responsible for requesting an interpreter?

Students requiring an interpreter for class must make the request to Disability Services. For outside class requirement, such as field trips or other assigned activities, as well as office hours, students should make a request for an interpreter at least two weeks ahead of time or more, depending on the event. Disability Services cannot guarantee an interpreter when requests are made less than two weeks before the event.